Date:      Fri, 5 Mar 2004 15:39:12 +0100
From:      Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>
To:        Ronald Klop <ronald-freebsd6@klop.yi.org>
Cc:        java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Native Java plugin on FreeBSD

Hello,

> Do you have URL's to the applets? So we can test/reproduce.

Any and all applets are suitable test cases since no applets work :) Inlcuding
the one at  http://java.sun.com/openstudio/applets/clock.html you asked
about.

> I'm using Firefox and applets just worked after installing it.
> Did you enable Java in the settings?

Yes, the checkbox is checked in both Mozilla and Firefox.

> Can you open the 'Java Console'? (Tools -> Web Development -> Java Console)

With Firefox it resulted in a JVM crash (right click -> java console on a
failed applet). With mozilla I have had problems at least once I'm pretty
sure but when I just tried it the console popped up, reveiling the error too
- it's defaulting to ipv6. Where would I configure Java environment variables
(-Dxxxx=y) for use with the browser?

(I need to set -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true)

> BTW (and off-topic): My Mozilla crashes when I open the Java Console after
> the Applet is loaded, but everything is fine when I load the applet
> second. Error attached.

Looks to be the same problem I mentioned above. I get a small empty grey
window instead of the initialized java console, followed by a crash a few
seconds later.

Thanks!

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey@scode.org