Date:      Mon, 13 Aug 2001 13:43:58 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Please test boot patch

> Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 12:58:36 -0700 (PDT)
> From: John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
>

> On 13-Aug-01 Kevin Oberman wrote:
> >> Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 11:52:59 -0700 (PDT)
> >> From: John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
> >> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
> >>
> >> If for some reason this doesn't work (it should work fine), then you will
> >> want
> >> to boot off of a floppy or CD, then do 'disklabel -B ad0' as root to restore
> >> the old boot blocks.
> >
> > John,
> >
> > I tried but had a couple of problems. First, after the 'make all'
> > there was no boot2 file in the /sys/boot/i386/boot2 directory. boot2.c
> > was there along with bbot2.c.orig, but no output from the make all.
>
> It's probably located in /usr/obj then, in which case you can do
> 'cd /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/boot/i386/boot2' and then run disklabel.
>
> > Also, the suggestion to boot from CD if it fails is probably not a good
> > one. :-)
>
> If you have any of the CDROM's you can just boot up the loader, then stop the
> countdown and load the kenrel from the hard drive and boot.  You can do the
> same deal using a kern.flp floppy.

OK. After finding the files in /usr/obj and blindly cutting and
pasting, I had to reboot off of CD. (Thanks for the suggestion,
John. I never thought about being able to do that!)

Trying again with the correct command, it works fine. Of course, I have
no CD that uses the new boot to confirm that it actually fixes the
problem...

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)