Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2000 15:45:23 +0200
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <jruigrok@via-net-works.nl>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: smbus PCI device?

-On [20000927 03:10], Archie Cobbs (archie@whistle.com) wrote:
>I'm trying to understand this iic/smbus stuff in order to write
>a driver for some new hardware. The PCI bus shows this device:
>
>    found-> vendor=0x8086, dev=0x2413, revid=0x02
>	    class=0c-05-00, hdrtype=0x00, mfdev=0
>                  ^^^^^^^^
>	    subordinatebus=0        secondarybus=0
>	    intpin=b, irq=10
>	    map[20]: type 1, range 32, base 0000fe00, size  4

pciconf -l will probably show the class as 0x0c0500 I guess?

>The class/sub-class/programming interface (highlighted above)
>indicates a SMBus device as specified by PCI 2.2.
>
>However, I'm not sure what that is. Adding the "smbus" device and
>friends to the kernel config doesn't cause this device to be
>detected.  You'd think all I needed to do then would be to add the
>device ID to a list in the smbus driver somewhere, but I can't find
>that list. Does "smbus_pci.c" not exist yet?

Normally, that would be enough yes.  I think you want:

src/sys/dev/iicbus and src/sys/dev/smbus

>Of course, you can't download the PCI 2.2 spec without being a
>"member".

Cute eh?

>Am I going down the right path trying to write a driver for
>this device?

Normally adding the vid/rid combo should at least detect it yes.

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven          Network- and systemadministrator
<jruigrok@via-net-works.nl>            VIA Net.Works The Netherlands