Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 00:15:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   free C compiler? (was RE: Windriver, Slackware and FreeBSD)

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> Now, different _applications_ in the distribution are a different matter -
> in my opinion the C compiler (gcc) is probably one of the biggest problems,
> kind of like the pink elephant that everyone pretends isn't there.  It's
> a shame because at one time BSD did have it's own C compiler.  I don't know
> if it
> ever crossed over into the FreeBSD distribution but I've always thought it a
> shame that we have to depend on GNU software for this task.

Any ideas where I can find a working free (maybe BSD-licensed) C compiler?
Preprocessor?
Assembler?
Linker?

I'd be glad to use a free cc to build my own projects and try to build
parts of a BSD source tree.

(It looks like 386bsd and I think 4.4BSD-Lite uses gcc.)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/