Date:      Fri, 26 Dec 1997 20:00:12 -0600 (CST)
From:      George Vagner <vagner@spdc.ti.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   wayward program

The other night i was looking thru the files in the /usr/X11R6/bin
directory and running them in sequential order to see if i liked them,
there was this program that i dont know the name of but when I
double clicked it my screen turned red, then green and back to red and did
sort of a flicker so i tried to stop it with a control c nope so i did a
ctrl+alt+backspace  still kept running so i did a ctrl+alt+delete
and it kept running for about 20 more seconds until i saw the bios
message of my video card and reboot proceeded until it got to
the part where it checks the drive and my drive was all tore up!
it had wrong sizes for files, superblock not set, and some other
stuff that it said.

so i ran fsck as requested and tried to fix it all and it said it did
but i ran fsck again tonight and got more errors which it fixed again.

i am now unable to run nmbd or smbd now even after i reinstalled the port.

i type nmbd and it just comes back with the > prompt like it ran and exited
but a look at "top" shows its not running.

do i have to completely wipe out the disk and redo everything?

--

Laszlo G. Vagner
Texas Instruments