Date:      Thu, 23 Nov 2000 10:58:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        Catlover1024@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD

see http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/copyright.html

> Why I was asking because I wanted to modify the FreeBSD kernel to support
> more things and debug the existing stuff...

That would be great.  We'd all enjoy more hardware support and bug fixes.

> I wanted to create my own
> distribution...
> Why I wanted to create my own distribution of FreeBSD was because I felt
> there was
> not enough support in the kernel for today's devices. Also it was because I
> felt there were not enough apps in the official distribution I didn't have to
> port over. Don't criticize me on any of this I don't like flames just
> constructive criticism.

Then why frame your question in a way that invites flames?  The questions
you've asked could all have been easily answered by yourself by reading
the documentation available at www.freebsd.org.  Especially if you have
the skills to hack the kernel and write drivers.
	You of course don't need to go to all the work of creating a new
distribution, because if you write good code it will be included in
FreeBSD's and will benefit everybody.

> Also, I wouldn't have to make my own distribution of FreeBSD if I knew how to
> submit apps and kernel code to be in the official dist. If anyone wants it
> and it's good I mean.
> How would I go about that?

	Yes if you submitted apps and code diffs that were good, they
would likely be included.  The only reason they wouldn't is if you didn't
take into account the complexities of the FreeBSD code and your code would
break something else if it was included, or your code had serious flaws or
security issues.
	So as Nathan said, subscribe to freebsd-hackers by mailing
majordomo@freebsd.org and spend some time there.  To get new applications
included take a look at http://www.freebsd.org/porters-handbook/
There are over 4000 already, have you checked www.freebsd.org/ports/  ?
	And finally there is a whole chapter in the online handbook about
how to contribute to FreeBSD.  See:
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/contrib.html
	Of course it would be great if you could develop support for more
hardware.  Check the HARDWARE.TXT files in each release to check what
hardware is already supported.  You'll proably also want to have a drive
with freebsd -current on it so you know where the cutting edge is at.  See
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/cutting-edge.html    for that.
Have fun,
						Tim