Date:      Wed, 13 Oct 1999 20:41:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        yveline.josserand@sofrecom.fr
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nslookup on Freebsd 2.X and Freebsd 3.2

yveline josserand wrote,
> Good Evenig,
>
> Here is a part of my named.conf. It looks like this:
>
> 	zone "0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
>         type master;
>         file "localhost.rev";
> };
>
> 	zone "sofrecom.fr" {
>         type master;
>         file "sofrecom.fr";
>  };
>
> My named.boot in Freebsd 2.X looks like this:
>
> 	primary   0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA          localhost.rev
> 	primary  sofrecom.fr                    sofrecom.fr

Both look good.

> Here is the localhost.rev file
>
> ;       From: @(#)localhost.rev 5.1 (Berkeley) 6/30/90
> ;       $Id: PROTO.localhost.rev,v 1.4 1997/05/01 21:02:37 ache Exp $
> ;
> ; This file is automatically edited by the `make-localhost' script in
> ; the /etc/namedb directory.
> ;
>
> @       IN      SOA     epsilon.sofrecom.fr. root.epsilon.sofrecom.fr.
> (
>                                 19991013        ; Serial
>                                 3600    ; Refresh
>                                 900     ; Retry
>                                 3600000 ; Expire
>                                 3600 )  ; Minimum
>         IN      NS      epsilon.sofrecom.fr.
> 1       IN      PTR     localhost.sofrecom.fr.

Check.

> I have changed the file /etc/resov.conf
>
> 	from:	domain sofrecom.fr	to: search localhost.sofrecom.fr
> 		localhost 127.0.0.1	    nameserver 127.0.0.1

That is incorrect (as pointed out below). The 'search' parameter would
have the same argument as 'domain.'

> When I invoke nslookup with aaa.sofrecom.fr I have:
>

>         ;; res_mkquery(0,aaa.sofrecom.fr.localhost.sofrecom.fr,
>         1, 1)
>         ------------
>         Got answer:
>          HEADER:
>         opcode = QUERY, id = 16335, rcode = NXDOMAIN
>         header flags:  response, auth. answer, want recursion,
> recursion       avail.
>         questions = 1,  answers = 0,  authority records = 1,
> additional      = 0
>
>     QUESTIONS:
>         aaa.sofrecom.fr.localhost.sofrecom.fr, type = A, class = IN
                          ^^^^^^^^^
That search line is doing that.

> It is correct because aaa doesn't exist in my domain. I use nslookup
> because I have a problem with sendmail 8.9.3.

OK... So, what is your question? The DNS is not finding 'aaa,' but you
say it should not... Where is the problem?

> When I use an inexistent domain in my e-mail heading address
> (yveline.josserand@aaa.sofrecom.fr), I send a message to ping@
> oleane.com, the mail is accepted for delivery. It may be rejected
> with the  following message:
>
>                 sender domain may resolve because aaa doesn't exit
>
> Have I had an another means to determine where is the problem? have you
> have any idea?

Seems to be a little language barrier here. So you are really not
asking about DNS problems at all? Rather, you are asking how to get
your sendmail to print your email address correctly so other people's
MTAs accept your mail?

The most simple way to do this is to go into your /etc/sendmail.cf and
find the line that starts with 'DM<whatever>' and change it to
'DMsofrecom.fr' and your outgoing email will have a return address of
'yveline.josserand@aaa.sofrecom.fr'.