Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2006 18:51:37 +0100
From:      Robin Vley <viper@fx-services.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: replicating /etc/passwd on a failover machine

Kirk Strauser wrote:

>> i doubt that just copying over /etc/passwd and master.passwd will work .
> You'd also need to pick up /etc/{s,}pwd.db - the compiled versions of those
> files.

I just read in another post that you can compile them using pwd_mkdb,
that was news for me. I just want to confirm that just copying (rsyncing
in our case) the .db files works just fine.

We do it to a mirror of our webhosting platform, all logins work just
fine on the mirrored machine.

--
Robin Vley
F/X Services Managed Hosting