Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 2004 13:15:30 -0700
From:      Pat Lashley <patl+freebsd@volant.org>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        'Edwin Groothuis' <edwin@mavetju.org>
Subject:   Re: SETIATHOME PORT

--On Monday, June 14, 2004 04:10:32 -0700 Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com> wrote:

> I have probably processed at least 5-10K wus with the current FreeBSD
> version of setiathome. The only time I have seen it do something like
> this is when the files are owned by a different user than the one
> running seti. It can run but not write to the state file.

I see the busy-but-not-updating state about once a week or so on all
of my FreeBSD machines; but not Solaris or Mac OS X.

When it happens to me, the file ownerships and permissions have not
changed.  I have found that I don't have to abandon a work unit in
progress though.  I just shut down the seti process(es); make sure
they are gone; then delete the pid.sah and lock.sah files.  (If the
state.sah is empty, I delete it too.)  Then restart using the rc
script; and all is well.

-Pat