Date:      Wed, 20 Jul 2005 13:15:41 -0700
From:      garys@opusnet.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        =?iso-8859-1?q?Jo=E3o_Carlos_Mendes_Luis?= <jonny@jonny.eng.br>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nForce3 SMB and Power Management

Joćo Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@jonny.eng.br> writes:

> Hi,
>
>      Does FreeBSD 5-stable support nForce3 power management?  I mean, can I measure fan speeds, power voltage, etc?  I
>      did try using nfpm, but it did not work.

Well, I can measure those things (nForce 3 250 Gb on Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939),
but some of the voltages vary way too much to believe and my CPU temperature
is seemingly random numbers. (My CPU temp is often way low or way high in
BIOS, but often reasonable and not varying.)  One fan speed looks right,
while other fan readings can show a value when there is no other fan.

I've tried lmmon, mbmon, healthd, and maybe one other I forget and they
only detect the ISA interface and though I've put a dozen related devices
in the KERNCONF, I've never seen a /dev/smb* device show up.

I've pretty-much forgotten what little I found in Google or groups.google, but
I suspect that some Nforce3 motherboards work and others don't.