Date:      Thu, 16 May 2002 02:33:49 -0500
From:      "Kevin Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        <bastill@sa.apana.org.au>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: root on ad0s3a and /usr/local on ad1s3h

From: "Brian Astill" <bastill@sa.apana.org.au>
To: <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc: "Annelise Anderson" <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>; "Greg 'groggy' Lehey"
<grog@lemis.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2002 7:53 AM
Subject: root on ad0s3a and /usr/local on ad1s3h

> Interesting how good advice given to a newbie can be incomplete (but
didn't I
> say that ...?) or, due to a lack of vital local information - positively
> dangerous.

God is omniscient.  The rest go with what they're given.  ;-)
Like a search engine, the battle is won when I can figure out
what I need to ask.

> First, Greg Lehey was most helpful, and after providing a specific
> amplification of his earlier answer (CAN newfs ad1s3 - BUT! 14 May 2002
> 16:23:02 +0930) I could understand, follow his instructions and produce a
> working ad1s3 - Yeah!
>
> Now to Annelise advice on moving /usr/local from drive 0 to ad1s3.
> (/usr/home on separate disk 9/5/02 13:31)

And you were blessed to get help from *two* excellent sources.
The folks are authors of note within the community, and Greg is
a member of FBSD core (not sure re: Ms. Anderson, but don't
think so, she's probably pretty busy at Stanford).  Of course,
the thing that really helped you with Greg is probably that
he is a fellow Aussie..... :-)

> That trap I mentioned earlier?  "cp /usr/local /usr/newlocal" did NOT
simply
> copy all the files in local to newlocal.  Instead it copied itself into
> newlocal, to produce /usr/newlocal/local, which was NOT what we wanted!

Nope, I believe you would need to cp -r /usr/local/ /usr/newlocal/
or possibly even use the -rf switch.

[Either Greg or Annelise could give you an 'authoritative answer'.]

If you ever did DOS you might recognize 'copy' vs 'copytree' or 'xcopy,'
but *shame* on me for mentioning a system that only was for operating
disks[1].  Read up on 'man cp'.......read LOTS of man pages .....
and happy computing!!

Kevin Kinsey

> --
> Regards,
> Brian

[1] "DOS is to FBSD as Lichtenstein is to the Milky Way."[2]
[2] No offense intended to Lichtensteiners.  DOS users: format c:
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.5-RELEASE/
get kern.flp, mfsroot.flp, fdimage.exe etc........