Date:      Sun, 28 Mar 1999 14:31:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Spirer-McNamee <spimac@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   system hangs after successful install

I started out with the 3.1-RELEASE on cdrom. I would get what seemed like a
successful installation. The system would boot fine, and everything
appeared to work--ethernet, ppp, apache, perl, etc. Then, after a few
hours, the system would hang--it would just stop with no warnings,
requiring pressing the reset button to reboot.

So I decided to try 2.2.8-RELEASE on cdrom. Same result. Installs fine,
seems to run fine, then hangs, seemingly at random.

There doesn't seem to be a pattern as to what the system's doing when it
hangs. It hangs while it's busy handling cgi scripts, ftp stuff, telnet
stuff, etc; it also hangs, after a fresh reboot, when it's just sitting
there doing only its own internal stuff.

I've tried many installations, including bare bones ones with no extra
ports, no ethernet setup, no ppp, just the os and its default daemons. Same
result.

Here's my hardware:
Intel PII 350
6.4G Western Digital AC26400R
Shuttle Hot 661/p 440 BX main board (pci)
64 M SDRAM
internal modem
Teac CD
NEC floppy
Trendware PCI network card (DEC-based)
Matrox G200 Video card

All hardware appears to be recognized properly at start-up.

I have run diagnostics on the hard drive and reformatted it. No bad blocks
are found by Western Digital's diagnostic utility.

Can someone give me some clues about where to go from here? Could it be an
irq thing? Something related to pci? What am I missing?

Pat

--
Patrick McNamee
spimac@yahoo.com