Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 2001 17:49:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      scanner@jurai.net
To:        Dan Phoenix <dphoenix@bravenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-question@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: qmail IO problems

>           /0   /10  /20  /30  /40  /50  /60  /70  /80  /90  /100
> ad0   MB/s
>       tps|XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX108.83
> that is why i know it is IO....#1.

	Ok there is your first problem. Using a single IDE disk as your
mail store is fine if your in a small lan. But your obviously beating the
living tar out of it. Upgrade to SCSI or at least add more disks and vinum
them together.

> #2..not configuration errors that I know of.

	Hmm.

> tailing the tcpserver current log shows lots of traffic comming in and
> out.....yet it keep getting queued up......so my guess is the IO.

	Again are you using hashed directories? If so what depth?

> Post fix is not the solution...would be the exact same problem...a mail
> deamon was to read each message to send them right? Same disk I/O problem

	Actually wrong. Qmail writes 3 files for each mail, Postfix writes
one. Do the math. Thats a 300% overhead compared to Postfix.

> will occur. Btw who are you and when you say brad....who are you talking
> about?

	I am someone trying to help you. And im referring to brad knowles.
He is a pretty big mail guy.

	How many mails WERE you doing on linux? How many are you doing
now? I can completely understand your I/O bottle neck using a single IDE
disk. What kind of load are you doing? how much traffic. You might not
even be able to do anything except add more I/O. And my guess is if Linux
didnt have this problem then it's obvious to me anyway that FreeBSD is
handling alot more mail in and out then linux was and is therefore taxing
your single IDE mail storage. But again with out #'s of how many mails you
were doing on linux and how many your doing now it's all theory.

-Chris Watson         (316) 326-3862 | FreeBSD Consultant, FreeBSD Geek
Work:              scanner@jurai.net | Open Systems Inc., Wellington, Kansas
Home:  scanner@deceptively.shady.org | http://open-systems.net
WINDOWS: "Where do you want to go today?"
LINUX: "Where do you want to go tommorow?"
BSD: "Are you guys coming or what?"