Date:      Tue, 4 Dec 2001 04:47:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      Trent Tobias <tritttrott@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Speeding up IPSEC Gateway

I currently have 3 IPSEC Gateways set up with
4.4-STABLE running on 1.5GHz machines.  It is a fully
meshed setup (all is connected to all via IPSEC ESP
Tunnels, using gif).

All three boxes have 128kbit connections to the
internet, but it seems like my maximum connection
speed between my 3 local nets only reaches approx
30kbits/s (i use bing to determine this).

I realise that encryption/decryption takes its toll in
the kernel relaying the packets, but this slow?

My only guess is that I am using the wrong parameters
for encryption - I am using the default config for
racoon with longer (8 hours) key lifetimes.

Trent