Date:      Thu, 02 Dec 1999 12:58:31 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Joe Park <joepark@uclink4.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hard drive crash

On Wed, 01 Dec 1999 22:52:46 PST, Joe Park wrote:

> I just added second hard disk for the first time with sysinstall, and it
> keep crashes when I try to move or copy from my old disk to new one.  It
> works fine for relatively small files (few megs) but when I try to move or
> copy big files, say 20 meg, or file structure with subdirectory, it just
> crashes and I have to restart and do fsck -p on it.

FreeBSD never "just crashes". :-)

Seriously, the box either

	1) rebooted spontaneously
	2) Locked up / froze, becoming unresponsive for X minutes
	3) entered a panic

The (1) and (2) options may or may not have left you with clues in
/var/log/messages.  The (3) option will have printed a clue to the
console and may have left a crashdump on disk if you have your box set
up to take crashdumps.

Without any more information to go on, all I can offer you is:

	1) Check your cabling and jumpering for the new drive.
	2) Remove the flags on the wdc1 controller in your kernel
	   config.

Ciao,
Sheldon.