Date:      Thu, 8 Nov 2007 07:58:40 -0000
From:      "Graham Bentley" <admin@cpcnw.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: New FreeBSD art?

I also don't understand how the 'Red Globe' with horns thing.
In my mind there can be nothing better than just the words

FreeBSD

Thinking about IBM's logo (the stripey IBM letters) I
suggest they have got it just right. Simple and Memorable.

There are alot of other logo's that do just that too. I think
you either go with letters and / or a symbol but if you go with
a symbol there has to be no mistaking it for what it represents.
My money would have been on using just the words / letters
FreeBSD (in a nice font that scales well - the one here is too
skinny / not bold enough imho particularly the BSD part)

http://logo-contest.freebsd.org/result/

See also ;
http://www.freebsdmadeeasy.com/tutorials/freebsd/beastie-boot-ascii.php