Date:      Wed, 08 Nov 2000 13:22:49 -0600
From:      Jeremy Vandenhouten <jeremy.vandenhouten@marquette.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RE: KNE100TX - Ethernetcard

Guys,

I worked at what was primarily an ISP, although we did OEM build
machines for companies that used us as their ISP. Basically we setup
routers for their ISDN connections, gateways, mailservers, etc. using
FreeBSD. Needless to say, we used ALOT of these cards, which is why I
have a few of them. In all the time I worked there, we never had a
problem with these cards. Yet, I did notice that the chipsets on these
cards did change from time to time. Sometimes it was a DEC chip and
othertimes it was an Intel-based chip. As a matter of fact, I have one
of those cards in one of my machines at home and it gives me the
same "compatibility shims" message that you're getting. Unfortunately,
I haven't done any work with this, since at the moment, this machine
stands alone and uses a modem for internet connectivity.

What may be the issue is that it happens to have a different chipset
(Intel or something else perhaps?)

Just sending out logical probabilities.