Date:      Mon, 28 Apr 1997 08:44:49 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        dkeller@psln.com (Daniel Keller)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: various questions

First off:

not a good idea to choose a Subject: 'various questions' in
a questions list.

Be specific and only post one message per problem/question.

> Hi,
> I have a few questions that I would appreciate any help with:
>
> 1) when I enter into ppp and type "term" I can't type anything, I can hit
> ~. to quit but whatever I type never seems to get to the modem.
> I am using "set device /dev/cuaa0" in my ppp.conf file, if I use anything
> but cuaa0 I get an modem not found error. sio0 is detected when I boot
> FreeBSD.

Are you sure the modem isn't configured to not to echo?
can you use cu to connect to the modem? What baud rate? Can the modem
cope with the baud rate? Some modems are limited to 38400.

> 2)I recently recompiled my kernel and sense then whenever I boot it I get
> the configuration screen, how do I stop it from coming up?

send your kernel config file. There are options to allow the config screen.

options         USERCONFIG              #boot -c editor
options         USERCONFIG_BOOT         #imply -c and parse info area
options         VISUAL_USERCONFIG       #visual boot -c editor

I guess 'VISUAL_USERCONFIG' is what you should remove.

> 3)I have an SMC EitherEZ card in my computer, I have configured the irq and
> i/o address, but I have no idea what to put for the memory address, when I
> leave it on the default the kernel doesn't detect it at boot.

Cannot comment on that card.

> 4)I can change my backspace key to backspace by typing "stty erase
> <backspace>" when I am at a $ prompt, but whenever I reboot the system, I
> have to do it again, what file should I put this command in so it is
> executed at boot always. Also, how should I but it in the file?
> Using vi whenever I hit the backspace key, it backspaces, even if I haven't
> run stty yet. when I press the key instead of making a "^H" it just moves
> the cursor backward.

Depending on the shell you use (sh or csh/tcsh) put the stty erase  ^H
in .profile or .login