Date:      Fri, 30 Oct 1998 11:11:58 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Low Koon Huat <khlow@ece.nps.navy.mil>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD:  More Details On I/O System

On Thu, Oct 29, 1998 at 09:49:30PM -0800, Low Koon Huat wrote:
> Hi, I represent a group of Masters degree students from the Naval
> Postgraduate School in California, USA. We have been tasked to look
> at the BSD OS and find out in technical depth how the operating
> system manages the I/O system at the kernel level. Kindly advise us
> how we can get detailed technical information, such as the relevant
> source codes, detailed descriptions/documentations on the I/O
> management system of FreeBSD or any BDS OS.

I suggest you start with reading the relevant parts of the handbook
from http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/

There should be sufficient references to documentation there for you
to get along.  If you install FreeBSD (which you should, if you are
going to do this), you will get an option to install the source code.
Do that.

Also, I recommend getting "The Design and Implemenation of the 4.4BSD
Operating System", by Marshall Kirk McKusick, Keith Bostic, Michael
J. Karels, and John S. Quarterman, Addison-Wesley 1996,
ISBN 0-201-54979-4

Eivind.