Date:      Mon, 30 Nov 1998 11:36:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>
To:        wes@softweyr.com (Wes Peters)
Cc:        adrian@ubergeeks.com, grog@lemis.com, dyson@iquest.net, tlambert@primenet.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: System V init (was: Linux to be deployed in Mexican schools; Where  was FreeBSD?)

Wes Peters said:
> ADRIAN Filipi-Martin wrote:
> >
> >         I still don't understand why this has become an issue again.
> > There is /usr/local/etc/rc.d.  The scrtips are called with "start" and
> > using rc.shutdown, you can make sure they are called with "stop".  What
> > more does a third party software vendor need?  They certainly cannot care
> > about how basic system functions are managed.
>
> I realized this over the weekend, too.  Perhaps symlinks from /etc/init.d
> and /etc/rc[1-6].d -> /usr/local/etc/rc.d?  ;^)

The current "rc" components are monolithic, and not a good general solution.
The "rc.conf" is helpful, and covers alot of general cases, but a better
framework would support the "broad brush" rc.conf, and also a more modular
"rc.d" scheme.

Runlevels and/or runmodes are also valuable.

dyson@iquest.net      | it makes one look stupid