Date:      05 Jul 2002 10:45:41 +0100
From:      Paul Richards <paul@freebsd-services.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Removing perl in make world

I think we should add a target to make world that checks for the
existence of an old base install of Perl and removes it if it exists.

As a general principle, if we do things like remove code during -current
development then make world needs to cater for that change. The idea of
make world is that what you get at the end of it is a pristine install
of a snapshot of FreeBSD from the current branch.

The bootstrap target was originally added for this purpose, to deal with
issues during releases i.e. to bootstrap from one version of current to
another. It's got misunderstood along the way to mean bootstrapping
tools needed early in the build process.

I'd like to resurrect it's original meaning and add code to clean out
old versions of Perl.

Paul.