Date:      Fri, 21 Nov 1997 08:32:02 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@freebie.dcfinc.com>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, nate@mt.sri.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Version Resolution?

> > The number is a transaction identifier; it would ideally be inserted
> > into the RCS files along with the other transaction details.  It would
> > be exported as a product of the checkin, not checked in itself.
>
> How does that number get increased on a 'regular' basis so that the
> sources can be more uniquely ID'd?

I don't think you're listening.  The ID gets changed as part of a *commit*.
Each change state of a given tree is uniquely identified.

> Somehow this ID must be propogated
> via *ALL* distribution means, which are currently:

The ID is kept in a source module (most seem to be voting for
newvers.sh).  CVS changes that module during a commit, but doesn't RCS
the change (to avoid the file growing without bounds--history of all
these timestamps is meaningless).  Any change to newvers.sh other than
the timestamp would still be RCSd.

If all the current distribution means actually get all changed files to
the end user, you're covered.  If they don't, we've got bigger problems
to worry about.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL22)              Brother, can you paradigm?
602-953-1392  chad@dcfinc.com  chad@anasazi.com  crl22@aol.com