Date:      Wed, 27 Jul 2005 14:38:46 +0100 (BST)
From:      martin@orbweavers.co.uk
To:        "Kanwar Singh" <kanwar@launch3.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing from CD [was: QUESTION.]

> I am trying to get BSD 5 on my system. I copied the image file on the
> CD, but cant get the system to boot form the CD. I have tried changing
> the boot order, but still does not work. I was wondering if I need to
> copy an additional file, like a boot.ini file to make the system boot
> form the image CD. Awaiting your reply. Thank you.
>
> Sincerely,
>

> Kanwar Singh

Most likely it is how the image file was written to the cd - if you just
copied the iso file onto it (i.e. using the XP build in CD writer) it will
not be bootable, or usable as a freebsd install cd at all. You need to
actually write the iso file out to the CD, using something like nero
(assuming you are using a windows machine to create it).

BTW - try to use a more descriptive subject in emails, it makes searching
the archives much easier.

Cheers,
Martin