Date:      Sat, 31 Jan 1998 22:03:59 +0100 (CET)
From:      Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: boot floppy banner

According to Jordan K. Hubbard:
> > OTOH, this version is much better than previous one... so at least we're
> > heading in good direction :-))
>
> I believe the goal behind the current message was to eliminate all
> those novice users saying "how do I boot off the 1st drive on my 2nd
> controller?" - the information presented there may be cryptic, but
> it's also pretty useful if you're totally lost as to what your device
> name should be or how you can specify the partition and bios logical
> drive# independently.  "Hello, and welcome to FreeBSD!"  is certainly
> more friendly, but does very little to actually aid the user. :-)

Well, they don't need to boot off the first drive on their second controller
when they are going to install. They don't have much choice but to continue
booting off of the install floppy, anyway. Right? So, we could have the
install floppy have a nice "welcome to freebsd install. press return" message
at the boot prompt on that one. But have the install install one that actually
helps them. That'd be nice, I think.

  /Mikael