Date:      Wed, 11 Jan 2006 10:59:20 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Crispy Beef <crispy.beef@ntlworld.com>
Subject:   Re: 4.6-RELEASE to 6.0-RELEASE...

On Wednesday 11 January 2006 09:30 am, Crispy Beef wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a production server running 4.6-RELEASE and I would like to
> bring it upto date and get 6.0-RELEASE on there.  I have a rough idea
> of what needs to be done to accomplish this from reading various docs
> but it would be nice to see how smoothly it has gone for any others.

There have been major changes in processes such as threads. You also=20
have to boot the 5.3 update in single user mode to have a kernel that=20
accepts the new arrangement and then install the userland. Before 5.1=20
or 5.2 it didn't matter much but there was an fs change that you update=20
in single user mode or boot the fix disc to finish the botched update.

You also have the problem that probably none of your ports from 4.x will=20
work at 6.0. This could take quite a bit of time to upgrade.

I don't think you can do src upgrade remote unless you have a serial=20
console setup. I also think you are better off building new HDs and=20
install them in the remote machine.

Kent