Date:      Wed, 31 May 1995 16:19:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Adrian T. Filipi-Martin" <atf3r@server.cs.virginia.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Questions List <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   ftp'ing a tar onto tape?

Hi Folks,

	It occurred to me that I could avoid usign lots of disk space by
ftp'ing directly to my tape. It kind of works, but beaks in an
unexpected manner.To get the entire FreeBSD/docs' directory, I issue a
command like:

	ftp> get docs.tar /dev/nrst0

Unfortunately, when I rewind the tape and try to list the tape contents, I
get a few files listed correctly, then error messages such as:

	st0: 10752-byte record too big
	tar: read error on /dev/nrst0: Input/output error

	Is there some way to controll the blocking from the ftp server,
so that this works?

thanks,
	Adrian

adrian@virginia.edu                ---->>>>| Support your local programmer,
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~atf3r/   --->>>| STOP Software Patent Abuses NOW!
Member: The League for                 -->>| info at ftp.uu.net:/doc/lpf, print
       Programming Freedom               ->| "join.ps.Z" for an application