Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 1999 01:59:49 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Licia <licia@o-o.org>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is there a "how did you hear about us?" form on www.freebsd.org?

Licia wrote:

> [ snipped for space ]
>
> On Tue, 6 Apr 1999, Wes Peters wrote:
> > Licia wrote:
> > >
> > > So freeware authors would be able to get listed in the branded software area
> > > on the web site?
> >
> > Yes!!
> >

> Excellent :)  I think this is a great way to offer encouragement :)
>
> > > Would there be criterion on size/quality of a branded
> > > project, or could someone write a clone of echo and get listed? :)
> >
> > Common sense, hopefully.  I wouldn't expect to brand "echo", but perhaps a
> > suite of utilities like psutils could be, if somebody wants to brand it.
> > There is no reason why programs like XV and Ghostscript couldn't be, for
> > instance.
> >

> The reason I asked this, is that I am concerned about the people who would be
> more interested in getting listed in the archive than doing real development
> :)  If someone weren't really developing material, but wanted an ego boost,
> they could do something like clone echo and try to get listed, but I think
> allowing that would degrade the value of the archive...

Oh, you mean like my "nologin" program I contributed several years ago, just
to get on the contributors list?  Well, not JUST to get on the contributors
list, it does provide a useful function.

> (paranoid woman at times :) )

I just got back from watching The Matrix.  My paranoia is running rampant;
running around the house kicking things over actually.  I hope it'll calm
down and let me go to sleep soon.

> > > (nods) an interesting site, and I do think we could learn a lot from it.
> > > My main concern isn't the commercial developers though.  As our numbers grow
> > > and FreeBSD becomes better known, such support is nearly inevitable I think. I
> > > worry more about keeping FreeBSD 'in the loop' as far as freeware support, and
> > > enticing people to use FreeBSD as a native development platform, any thoughts
> > > on how the branding effort could be used there?
> >
> > The purpose here is to get "application" vendors to put FreeBSD logos
> > on their products and their web pages.  Hopefully the web page entries
> > will be linked to our web page, and the "box" logs will include a URL
> > or something like that.  The idea here is to advocate FreeBSD, after all.
> >

> (nods) I agree completely, I'm just trying to see how this effort can be used
> to advocate FreeBSD as a development platform :)

Hopefully by showing that others are actually SELLING software to FreeBSD
users.  I'd certainly happily pay $99 for a good word processor that doesn't
eat the system, like Gobe Productive for BeOS.  I'd probably pay $40 or $50
for a good email client; the user interface on everything except Netscape
Communicator sucks, and Communicator sucks functionally.

> I do development under it on a daily basis, find it a wonderful os for both
> development and desktop use as well as server, and I want to make sure all
> three areas get a little advocating  :)

I wish I could.  By the time I get home from work, I barely have the energy
to answer my email, let alone write more code.  ;^(