Date:      Mon, 7 Jul 2014 13:53:30 +0100
From:      RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating and displaying CMOS clock

On Mon, 7 Jul 2014 13:08:16 +0100
RW wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Jul 2014 22:32:07 +0700
> Victor Sudakov wrote:
>

> > And no, contrary to popular belief, the correction of the CMOS clock
> > does not happen automatically in FreeBSD even if ntpd is running.
>
> Are you sure about that? That used to be the case, but I thought it
> was fixed in 10-CURRENT.

I missed this:

On Mon, 7 Jul 2014 17:39:55 +0700
Victor Sudakov wrote:

> I have been told about the machdep.rtc_save_period sysctl, but it
> seems undocumented.

It looks like it has been fixed. I never followed the PR, but the
solution discussed on the mailing list was to update the hardware clock
from the system clock every 30 minutes

$ sysctl -d  machdep.rtc_save_period
machdep.rtc_save_period: Save system time to RTC with this period (in seconds)

$ sysctl  machdep.rtc_save_period
machdep.rtc_save_period: 1800