Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 2001 17:00:16 -0500
From:      Andreas H Taenzer <aki_1965@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   upgrade to XFree 4.0.2

I am using a trident cyberbalde i7 AGP chip in my laptop, it is not supported by any of the earlier versions.

I did get it to work under Linux by installing the binary 4.0.2 from XFree86.

Since I prefer BSD I did install the FreeBSD4 binary (running 4.2 stable) of 4.0.2.  It installs fine but I can not get the driver to work.  I did get it up once,
but the mouse was not working.  Since I only get a blank screen up.  When I run startx I get something about bad display name or something bad mit
cookie, guess some security prob.

Because I got a graphical screen once I know it works.  I actually did a complete re-install out of desparation but never got it to work again.  I have 8
virtual terminals, tty8 is off for X.  I tried install with X user and user only standard install, no difference.  I put tty8 to "on" - nothing.  Also ctrl-alt-bs does not
kill the not working x-server.

What am I doing wrong???

Please help me with this,
Andreas