Date:      Wed, 17 Sep 2003 16:01:42 +0900
From:      Rob Lahaye <lahaye@snu.ac.kr>
To:        Scott Schappell <archon-dated-1064383694.84de4d@silvertree.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Updating SSH, patch failed?

Scott Schappell wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> I ran the patch process exactly as listed in the advisory.  I'm currently
> running 4.8p3 built from source.
>
> After running the instructions verbatim, sshd shows the following version
> string:
>
> OpenSSH_3.5p1 FreeBSD-20030201, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090701f
>
> Also the command to restart sshd gives me an error:
>
> arthur# (. /etc/rc.conf && ${sshd_program:-/usr/sbin/sshd} ${sshd_flags})
> Bad : modifier in $ (-).

I have same error. You and I are probably using another shell (tcsh)
than what they assume here (bash ?).
I ignored all the rc.conf, sshd_program and sshd_flags stuff, because
I don't need them. Check your rc.conf file and do it manually:

# kill `cat /var/run/sshd.pid`

# /usr/sbin/sshd
or
# /usr/sbin/sshd [your sshd_flags here]