Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 1995 10:47:07 +0100 (MET)
From:      Falko Dressler <fd@bsd.rrze.uni-erlangen.de>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   svcupd_create(RPC_ANYSOCK)

Hello,

I noticed that you get only reserved ports if you make a
svcudp_create(RPC_ANYSOCK) which results in a bindresvport()
in svc_udp.c (libc).
I think that this could be a real bug because these portnumbers
are used by real daemons like kerberos which uses port 750 as well.
Actually I've run in large problems caused by this strategie of
selecting ports for rpc services (mountd, ypbind, ypserv etc.)
because some servers start and shut down shortly with the
reason Can't bind to socket.
I have had a look to other operating systems like Solaris
and found out the the used ports for the rpc services start
at about 32000.
Do you have a real reason for your strategie for giving rpc ports?

Falko.

--
Falko Dressler              Falko.Dressler@rrze.uni-erlangen.de