Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 1999 13:51:00 +0200
To:        'Sheldon Hearn' <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, "'Francis A. Vidal'" <francis@usls.edu>
Cc:        'FreeBSD Questions' <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: change system password over web

We had a problem like this at the office and sorted it out with an
interesting solution. The main problem is you need to be root to do this,
and apache refuses to run as root unless you fix it a little - and thats NOT
recommended.

So what we did is we made a php3 script which is the ACTION of our form.
What we do is send a mail to root with cunning hidden headers and some pgp
encryption of the username and new password. Then we have a procmail filter
which looks for the hidden header, takes the encryption passes it through a
php binary which decrypts the pgp and then executes something like this :

#$1 = username
#$2 = newpassword

/usr/sbin/pw usermod $1 -h 0 <<EOF
$2