Date:      Tue, 4 Feb 2003 16:21:19 +0000
From:      Daniel Bye <dan@slightlystrange.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BIND 8/9

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 11:10:26AM -0500, Dan Delaney wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 4, 2003, at 10:20 AM, Daniel Bye wrote:
> >You shouldn't need to - the version form the ports gets installed in
> >/usr/local/.  All you need to do is define named_program in
> >/etc/rc.conf,
> >and the system will do the right thing.  The amount of disk space you
> >would save by removing named and all associated libs and docs is
> >minimal.
>
> Disk space isn't really an issue. The problem is that those old BIND 8
> commands are still in /usr/bin and /usr/sbin, and since those two
> directories come before their /usr/local counterparts, when you type
> "nslookup" (or whatever), you'll get the BIND 8 version instead of the
> BIND 9 version. Sure I could go rename all of those BIND 8 versions and
> do something like put ".8" at the end of them or something. But I'd
> rather just get rid of BIND 8.

Yep, this was the biggest hassle I faced when moving to BIND9.  I
renamed the BIND8 programs and removed the execute bit (possibly overkill,
but hey, it didn't take long!).

To make sure you don't get it back if you do remove it all, set
NO_BIND=true in /etc/make.conf (don't do what I did and tell CVSup to
refuse the BIND8 related files, though, or you'll find your buildworld
dies when it tries to make the resolver library!)

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3D73 AF47 D448 C5CA 88B4 0DCF 849C 1C33 3C48 2CDC
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \