Date:      Wed, 8 Sep 2004 18:22:02 -0400
From:      "Carroll Kong" <me@carrollkong.com>
To:        "Eduard Martinescu" <martines@rochester.rr.com>, <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 3ware 7506,  FreeBSD 4.x,  Maxtor Disks & SMART Problems.

I installed autoconf2.59, automake1.8 and compiled the CVS version using
gmake.

I got this error when I ran this command.

saint# ./smartctl -a -d 3ware,0 /dev/twe0
smartctl version 5.33 [i386-unknown-freebsd4.10] Copyright (C) 2002-4 Bruce
Allen
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

Smartctl open device: /dev/twe0 failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device

This is the same error I got with version 5.3.0. (install via freebsd ports)
I am using a pretty old firmware, do yuo think that might be it?  Or is it
possible this only works with FreeBSD 5.x?

- Carroll Kong