Date:      Thu, 6 Aug 1998 11:50:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Dan Langille <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DHCP configuration (was "changes to file are lost")

On Sat, 1 Aug 1998, Dan Langille wrote:

> I've renamed the thread as the topic seems to have deviated slightly...<grin>

:)

> On 31 Jul 98, at 13:42, Doug White wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, Dan Langille wrote:
> >
> > > Bummer.  OK.  What should I be looking at in order to automagically
> > > amend the contents?  In brief here's what it contains followed what I
> > > want it to contain:
> > >
> > > search myisp.com
> > > nameserver 11.22.33.44
> > > nameserver 11.22.33.45
> > >
> > > -----
> > >
> > > domain mydomain.com
> > > nameserver 10.0.0.1		# my min-dns server
> > > nameserver 11.22.33.44
> > > nameserver 11.22.33.45
> > >

> > > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Yes -- you can add a `prepend' statement to add that in, I think:
> >
> > prepend {
> >  domain-name "mydomain.com";
> >  domain-name-servers 10.0.1.4;
> > }
> >
> > Add that to /etc/dhclient.conf and it should fix you up.  See the
> > dhclient.conf manpage for details.
>
> Ahhh.  Thanks.  I'm finding the manual confusing and can't find any good
> examples.  The prepend command as shown above, won't work for me, despite
> it matching what is said in the man pages.  The error I get is "expecting
> identifer after option keyword".  This is disconcerting not to mention
> disapointing.

Hm, ok, will have to check that out.

> However, if I add single prepend commands to /etc/dhclient.conf before the
> interface "ep0" command, I do get partial success.  Here's what I supply
> and what I get:
>
> prepend domain-name "mydomain.com";
> prepend domain-name-servers 10.0.0.1;
>
> gives:
>
> search mydomain.commyisp.com
> nameserver 10.0.0.10
> nameserver 11.22.33.44	# my ISP
> nameserver 11.22.33.45	# my ISP
>
> This is strange.  There are references in the man pages that I can request
> that the DHCP server not send me certain information (i.e. the search
> statement), but it is not clear to me how to tell it that.
>
> How do I eliminate the search command, replace it with "domain
> mydomain.com" and not have it suffixed with "myisp.com".

Maybe prepend is the wrong keyword, or try

prepend domain-name "mydomain.com "
           Note extra space      ^

Hint: dhclient's magic is done via a script, /etc/dhclient-script. If you
don't want both in the search path then use the `supercede' keyword
instead of `prepend'.

> Another issue is that after initiating dhclient edo, I must manullay redo
> my ed1 details via ifconfig ed1 10.0.0.5 255.255.255.0.  Is that to be
> expected?

No.  dhclient configures all Ethernet interfaces by default, but you can
specify with interfaces to listen on via the command line, like

dhclient ep0

to specifically listen on ep0.

> BTW: I notice that if I change the 'interface "epo" {' to be 'interface
> "ed0" {', things still work.  It's always been ep0, and worked.  I would
> have thought it should have to be ed0 in order to work.

Perhaps you have both?