Date:      Sat, 10 May 2008 09:12:46 -0400
From:      DAve <dave.list@pixelhammer.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd7 on older machines

Wojciech Puchar wrote:
>> installation cdrom.
>>
>> i want to create a series of 'dumb terminals' which can ssh -Y into a
>
> make X server running - you will be able to remotely use X apps too.
>
>> faster machine. if necessary i suppose i can floppy in and then install
>> via nfs. or i can setup the hd on another machine that does support the
>> install cdrom and then transfer to the older machine.
>>
>> here are the specific questions:
>>
>> 1. do older machines work better with older versions of freebsd?
>
> should work with FreeBSD 7, but i would rather use 6.*
>
>> 2. if i dd a hd (with freebsd) onto another hd will i have a problem
>> with the mbr and be unable to boot?
>
> no. it will work

You can use rdump this way, I have done it many many times to "clone" a
server from one piece of hardware to another.

Boot with a live filesystem CD on the target machine
Mount your partitions under /mnt/ufs.1, /mnt/ufs.2, /mnt/ufs.3 (etc)
Then rdump from the source machine
Edit your conf files
Reboot

Easy as pie ;^)

DAve

--
In 50 years, our descendants will look back on the early years
of the internet, and much like we now look back on men with