Date:      Mon, 22 Dec 2008 06:48:35 -0500
From:      Randall Stewart <rrs@lakerest.net>
To:        freebsd-net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ACE and FreeBSD

Hi all:

I am trying to get the latest ACE/TAO toolkit compiling with Head...
(the
port is marked broken in 7)..

In the process of fixing things I found something I am not sure how
to approach.. for now I have just ifdef'd it out but maybe someone
can point me to the right method...

They are using a ioctl -- SIOCGIFDATA -- to get access to the interface
packet counts and such. Now near as I can tell we don't have that
SIO. A google of someone a few years ago where the question was
asked turned up a, we don't need that instead we should have
access to this information via the sysctl.

So my immediate thought, hey netstat does this.. and it probably uses
the sysctl... so I go and look at the code.. and tada.. it does a
kread() to get the actual if_data .... yuck.

So, is there a sysctl that gets access to this information? I have
poked around in a sysctl -a -N and don't see anything that looks
promising..

Pointers to the right approach would be appreciated.. I am not sure
what the monitor stuff is used for.. but I would like to get this
toolkit fully functional if possible :-)

Randall Stewart
803-317-4952 (cell)
803-345-0391(direct)