Date:      Tue, 31 Mar 1998 09:59:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        (Satoshi Asami) <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: editor/nedit patching fails

On 31-Mar-98 Satoshi Asami wrote:
..

> First, make sure that you don't have any old patches lying around.
> The best way is to go to ftp.freebsd.org, fetch the portball (not
> distfile) of the port, and run a md5 check on all files.

Is this not the same as cvsup of the ports?

>  * Ports are very uneven.  I am trying to sort them out.
>
> Oh, definitely.  You don't even want to hear what I have to do to
> build all the packages quickly on the same machine.  But if you build
> one at a time, that shouldn't be too hard.

Oh, yes I do.  I only do it one at the time since it breaks into too many
pieces otherwise.

>  * Nope.  Not totally.  I had ONE case of a corrupt package.  This was
>  * admitted and apologized for.
>
> And a bunch of "but it works for me" reports. :>

Which indicates environmental deltas.  If I follow the procedure and it
breaks, the procedure is broken. Either by not checking or by not setting
the environment properly.  Example, if I supposedly have the wrong version
of patch(1), then the port is sensitive to patch version and should check
for it.

>  * you do, I'll buy you dinner next time I am in the BA).
>
> I'd like to take you up on that offer (what's your budget? :), but
> don't have much time now.  Please check back in a week or so.

What's reasonable and customary between friends :-)