Date:      Fri, 31 Jan 1997 17:21:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Howard Lew <hlew@sequence.Stanford.EDU>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wow... got sound.. but!

Well, finally got it working....  Everything seems to work right except
for the Real Audio player :-( The Real Audio player can play its own
welcome.ra perfectly, but when it tries to play anything from the net, I
hear 2 sounds like "rips" and then I get error #50 about being unable to
open the audio device.  It does say "buffering", so I don't think it is a
net problem. Anyone have any ideas on this one?

I can still open welcome.ra and play the demo without any problems, so I
guess this one is a RA bug.  Anyone else using MSS/WSS emulation?  BTW
s3mod is quite good.  I'm surprised.

There's sound now and FreeBSD no longer reboots.  For the record (and
those who read the mailing list archives)...

I am using MSS/WSS mode with FreeBSD 2.1.6R on the Televideo EX16 3D ISA
PNP Sound Card. MSS/WSS Base Address 0x530, Irq 10, DMA 1.

I guess FreeBSD doesn't like the PCI irq in the bios set to Level.
Setting it to "Edge" in the CMOS plays the music properly.  I still could
not get the 8-bit Sound Blaster Pro emulation to work even with the
"Edge" setting, but I am satisfied with the 16 bit MSS/WSS emulation.
Oh well, I guess I will wait for the next RA beta for FreeBSD.

Thanks to all who wrote back to my requests for help.

Howard Lew

----

 -------------------------------> WWW - http://www.shoppersnet.com/shopping