Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 2002 13:40:49 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Eduardo Viruena Silva <mrspock@esfm.ipn.mx>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xdm is not working in 4.6-RELEASE

On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 02:59:27PM -0500, Eduardo Viruena Silva wrote:

> I have installed FreeBSD 4.6-RELEASE in a new computer,
> I also installed X and KDE,  verything is working fine
> except xdm.
>
> I'm sure X is working because "startx" works.
>
> In my /etc/ttys, I changed:
>
> ttyv8   "/usr/local/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   off  secure
> 						^^ "on"
>
> to:
>
> ttyv8   "/usr/local/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   on   secure
>

> and then:
>
> 	kill -HUP 1
>
> my computer started blinking but even X did not start.

The "blinking" you're seeing is X starting up, then almost immediately
dying, after which init restarts xdm and around we go again.

Look at /var/log/xdm-errors and /var/log/XFree86.0.log for clues as to
why X is continually failing so soon after it starts up.  Note that
recent versions of XFree86 4.x now expect to find most configuration
files in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11, rather than in /etc/X11 which is what
XFree86 3.x used to use. (The exception is the XF86config file which
is searched for on a complicated path detailed in the XF86Config(5)
man page)

Otherwise, you seem to have done everything right.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
                                                      Marlow