Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 2019 13:38:10 +0000
From:      "Christopher J. Ruwe" <cjr@mail.cruwe.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   (off-topic) Broadly accepted standards for (not?) logging credentials

Hi,

sorry for being severely off-topic. However, the freebsd-*@s are
always my last resort when I simply do not know who to ask.

>From my understanding (and several colleagues I asked concur) it is
absolutely verboten / tabu / you name it to ever log credentials in
clear-text, even with debug-flags on etc. The specific case is logging
the credentials of a remote storage filer in a console session, but
that should not matter.

Debug sessions may be shared with non-privileged personnel, are
switched on for just this one time, I promise, and then forgotten, and
slowly, but certainly and irrevocably, credentials leak unto the
point when a secret is no secret anymore, but essentially public
domain.

I have a support call open with a vendor where the other side does not
agree. If it is not I who is too conservative (which I hope), does
anybody know of any well-known and battle-proven document from an
authoritative source (RFCs, IEEE, ...) with which to beat people
until they promise not to log secrets?

Thanks and cheers,
--
Christopher J. Ruwe