Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 2003 06:03:50 -0800
From:      "Aaron Burke" <aburke@nullplusone.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>, "FreeBSD-Stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, "User Tysken" <tysken@post.utfors.se>
Subject:   RE: XDM on multiple virutal X screens ( ALT-F9,ALT-F10...)

This is the only file that you have to modify, however you need
to make two seperate mods.

The default file just says
:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X

Just change it to say the following.
:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0
:1 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X :1

> The only line that is in there is ":0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X"
>
> I have tried to add ":1 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X" but xdm does not
> seem to like it. It wound "behave" that I want it to. First i
> started xdm and then i just crashed after a few seconds. And then
> I tryed to start It again and the it started but I did not get
> multitple xdm login screens on ALT-F9... ALT-F10.
There are two mods to one file that need to be made. (explained
above) After you make them you will have X consoles on F9 and F10.

> And I didn't even get a login prompt if you understand what I
> mean only a the standar gray and black backgrund with a login screen.
(see post above)

> Perhaps I haven't searched thurly enought but perhaps someone can
> point me in the right direction of do this.
You have searched  well enough. I remember playing with this
for about a week in the past. (when I first got it working).
Its amazing how easy the change is to make though.

> One thing that I perhaps should mention is that im using a
> Geforce 3 Ti 200 with the nvidia drv and it seems to be quite
> unstable on my system. So sometimes the computer crashes and I
> have to reboot it to get it working.
This is an unrelated problem. Feel free to ask about it on
-questions though.

> Sometimes I can just ssh from an other box and kill and restart
> xdm. And some times I can't even ping my workstation and are
> forced to do a hard reboot.
You should always be able to ssh into your box (provided your
running the server, and you are).

> It might perhaps be so that I have to do some config changes in
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config but I don't think thats necessery
> or am I wrong?
Nothing to do there.

> Anyway thanks for reading and perhaps replying to this mail :)
Thats what some of us are here for.