Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 2008 19:01:28 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <parish@magichamster.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X.org 7.3 sure is a mess...

Peter Boosten wrote:
> Ken Gunderson wrote:
>> [snip]
>>> Looks like you're having a problem with your window manager, instead of
>>> Xorg.
>>>
>>> Mine (with enlightenment-devel) works like charm. None of the issues
>>> you describe anyway.
>>>
>>> Peter
>>
>> So how would you explain that I am seeing same type of behaviors in
>> straight "startx" with default twm, i.e. bundled Xorg wm?
>>

> Dunno. But the troubles cannot originate from the xorg ports, or
> everyone would see the same behaviour, right?
>

 > Maybe some other port, or hardware (maybe your video card? - just
 > guessing), or the driver for that particular piece of hardware.

One would expect so, but it would appear not to be the case. I'm having
the same problem - if I ssh in from another box I see the Xorg process
sucking >100% CPU and the state is *GIANT

I'm using an ATI card but people are having the same issue with nVidia
and Matrox cards. My box has run every version of Xorg since it replaced
XFree86 on FreeBSD and many versions of XFree86 before that without this
problem.

Also, the problem seems to come and go for me as I update my ports, i.e.
the box has the problem, I run ``portmaster -a'' and the problem goes
away. sometime later I run ``portmaster -a'' again and the problem
re-appears. Only seems to happen when X-related stuff gets updated.

The other thing I've noticed is, on my box at least, that the problem
always starts when I move the mouse (not every time of course) so could
it be Xorg 7.3 not playing nicely with the mouse driver - or the USB
driver since my mouse is a USB one? Which may explain why some people
see the problem and others don't?

This is really becoming a big PITA.

Regards,

Mark