Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2000 17:43:44 -0400
From:      "'Michael Lucas'" <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        advocacy@freebsd.org, newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD Magazine

[cc butchered for the general audience]

On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 01:08:32PM -0700, Jordan Hubbard wrote:
> > we'd PAY for a hard copy that we could hold in our hands and read.. Are
> Great, could you guys just quietly count yourselves up and send the
> total to BSD Magazine, care of ASCII publishing in Tokyo, Japan? :-)

The ASCII folks are certainly going to want information that we on
this list can't provide without some serious
pulling-numbers-out-of-bodily-orifice-of-your-choice.  Remember the
three kinds of math: lies, damned lies, and statistics.  We'd be
creating the worst of the lot.  :)

I still say the best way to get a BSD magazine is to get more BSD
articles in print.  Once we hit a certain critical mass, a publisher
will start it on their own.  Heck, if DB2 has a magazine, we can.

Right now, months can pass without a single BSD article in print.  We
have one book, although more is on the way.

When you see a BSD article in print, contact the editor.  Let them
know you found the article informative, and would like to see more of
them.  Many paper publishers shoot articles into the dark and hope
that nobody bitches too much about them.  Compliments stand out much
more because of it.

Believe it or else, editors want articles that are well-written and
coherent.  If you can put words in a row, apply grammar and a minimum
of thought, they'll buy it.

Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to excuse myself from this thread
and go put my keystrokes where my mouth is.

==ml

--
Michael Lucas
mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org