Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2000 00:51:31 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, Kirk McKusick <mckusick@mckusick.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: softdep panic due to blocked malloc (with traceback)

* Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk> [001108 00:46] wrote:
> In message <20001107152836.I5112@fw.wintelcom.net>, Alfred Perlstein writes:
>
> >> Could we please have an eventhandler chain which gets called when
> >> we are short of KVM ?  There are code which can free KVM with no
> >> significant loss of anything but performance, if only we bother to
> >> tell it to do so.
> >
> >Wait a second, didn't you argue against doing this when I proposed it
> >nearly a year ago?
>
> I argued against having only two colors and in favour of three (or
> more) colors.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be short with you, what I remeber is
you being very against callbacks into subsystems to free the RAM,
basically only doing the "free 2, allocate 1" thing when you normally
entered a subsystem, not during a callback which has a lot of lock
ordering problems (your point if I remeber correctly).

Callbacks can be a bad idea because of lock ordering as well as
possible resource allocation recursion.