Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2000 16:22:07 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jerry Dunham <jdunham@fc.net>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org (Jonathon McKitrick), freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: programmer's editor choice

Greg Lehey babbled:

> On Wednesday, 26 January 2000 at 14:11:24 +0000, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> >> It's a steep curve.
> >
> > Well, i installed emacs 19 and then 20 (didn't see much of a difference, IIRC,
> > but the problem i had was there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the
> > key bindings.  The keys for moving the cursor make some sense,
> > but when it comes to extra commands, well, it just doesn't seem intuitive.
> > Maybe i'll get the hang of it in time.
>
> They're not intuitive.  Neither are vi commands.  The fact is that it
> doesn't matter too much; you learn them just as quickly.

Or just as slowly.  The learning curve for vi is very painful, and I
understand the curve for Emacs is no better.

I'm a vi user, and use it on every platform I use: UNIX, WinNT, and Atari.
I really appreciate that it's so universal.  Even so, the interface sucks.
It's a shame we often have religious wars over a choice where all the
available religions fall so short.  How am I supposed to work up a proper
religious fervor for something I know sucks?  Yet I use vi more than any
other piece of software on the planet, and can see no good reason to
change.  For me it's still the best choice.

*sigh*

--
Jerry Dunham                     FreeBSD                 Atarian ordinaire
jdunham@fc.net                                           (512)335-0674 (H)

                              E Pluribus Unix