Date:      Mon, 7 Dec 1998 10:03:38 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Manuel Enrique Garcia Cuesta <megarcia@lix.intercom.es>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How much to pay my ISP for my own Internet domain ?

On Saturday,  5 December 1998 at 21:11:39 +0100, Manuel Enrique Garcia Cuesta wrote:
>         Greetings
>
>         I have been querying my current ISP about the issues
> related to my registering and setting up a domain of my own,
> namely his handing me over a static IP address, his name servers
> playing secondary for my zone, and his mail machine receiving
> mail for my domain when my machine is not plugged to the Net
> (that will be 90% of the time ). I was expecting he would ask
> for big bucks, what he did. Anyway, being the newbie I am
> regarding most of the technical stuff I will admit beforehand
> that the costs he tells me about *might be* reasonable, but I
> would also like to ask the knowledgeable people in this list an
> opinion.
>

>>        * Startup:
>>
>>                - Static IP:                USD  68

I suppose it's reasonable to assume that if you have a static IP,
you'll be using more resources, *assuming* that this also means a
guaranteed number to call any time you want.

>>                - Domain registration:      USD  83

This is pretty much what Internic charges ($75), including the first
two years' fees.

>>                - DNS/SMTP configuration:   USD 214

This seems ridiculously high.  What do they need to do?

1.  Add a DNS zone.  Say, garcia.org.  The entry looks like:

    zone "garcia.org" {
	type slave;
	file "db.garcia.org";
	masters {192.168.168.192};
    };

    That's *all* they need to do.  You do the rest.

2.  Add your domain name to /etc/sendmail.cw:

    garcia.org

And the want $214 for *that*?

>>                - Mail delivery procedure:  USD  54 (script that
>> notifies our server that yours is available to receive pending
>> messages )

Huh?  Who are you and who are we?  You have two choices with mail:
SMTP or POP.  It seems that you have chosen SMTP, with which I agree.
When you dial in, you have a script which connects to their smtp
server and says:

  ETRN garcia.org

That's all.

>>        * Monthly maintenance:
>>
>>                - Static IP:                USD  22

Is this about the phone line rental?  In that case, it might be
justified.

>>                - Domain:                   USD  27

Huh?  They already charge (a) for the registration, which includes the
first two years' charges and (b) for the name server.  This is even
more than I had to pay to DE-NIC in Germany for having a .de domain.
Is this maybe the cost of an .es domain, as opposed to a .com or .org
domain?

>>> 16% VAT
>
>         This all adds to what they are already setting me back for
> "normal" Internet access, some USD 25 a month.
>
>         By the way, I told them I would register the domain myself
> with the InterNIC.

That's the way to do it.  So what's the money for?

>         They charge Spanish pesetas obviously, I have applied an
> aproximate exchange rate.
>
>         I don't know how important this might be, but I think they
> are running mainly Linux and perhaps some Windows NT.

You need to find this out.

>         I know this question is somewhat off topic, but I don't
> know of any better place where to ask. Personally, I think it is
> outrageously expensive, much more than it should be. Somebody
> please convince me that it's not. Thanks in advance,

I think it is outrageously expensive, much more than it should be.

Depending on where you live, you may not have much choice.  But you
have some.  The one thing you *must* have from your ISP is the static
address.  OK, that's not even the most expensive thing (the ongoing
domain registration stuff is), but you don't get a choice.

Next, you find somebody who will host your name server and secondary
MX records for you.  People who run University systems or some such
might be pleased to oblige.  They don't even need to be near you--for
example, I have a secondary DNS server in England (I live in
Australia), though it's a good idea to have relatively good
connectivity to your next MX.

If you do this, you'll drop the setup costs from $419 to $68, and the
monthly costs from $49 to $22.  The question is: do you know somebody
who would oblige?

Greg