Date:      Sat, 9 Dec 2000 08:10:14 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   ${PREFIX}/etc/defaults?

In contemplating building another port with a config file, I have to
wonder why ports don't use the same mechanism as the base system?
I.e. - why do I have /usr/opt/etc/healthd.conf.sample instead of
/usr/opt/etc/defaults/healthd.conf, /usr/opt/etc/orbitrc.default
instead of /usr/opt/etc/defaults/defaults/orbitrc, and so on? In fact,
checking all the files named '*-plist*'  in a recently sup'ed ports
tree turns up no occurences of the string /etc/defaults/.

In particular, would anyone object to creating a port that did that?

	Thanx,
	<mike
Independent WWW/Unix/FreeBSD consultant,	email for more information.