Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 2000 17:47:25 -0400
From:      John <papalia@udel.edu>
To:        Gustavo Vieira Goncalves Coelho Rios <kernel@tdnet.com.br>, mjacob@feral.com, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ultra/ultra w scsi

> > It's wide. Wide is an option that is negotiated between a target and an
> > initiator. So is 'Ultra' (20 Mhz synchronous mode). Therefore, you have
> in the
> > 2940 a controller that can 'Ultra' (but not wide if wide negotiation didn't
> > occur) and Ultra/Wide (if it did).
> >
> > These are fairly basic concepts.
>

>Dear gentleman,
>
>Thanks a lot for your support! But i have just one single question: He
>can i force wide occur ?

I missed out on some of this thread, so please forgive me if I'm repeating
something that was said...  If I recall, you said you had an Adaptec
2940UW... if that's the case, when you first power up the computer, it
should show you the BIOS checks of the CPU and RAM, and should (hopefully)
off you an option to "Press CTRL-A To Enter SCSI-Select Utility", or a very
very similar statement.  If you press CTRL-A at this prompt, it will take
you into the Adaptec BIOS.  In there, you can configure device options, and
set "wide" negotiation on and off for each SCSI ID.  If you know your SCSI
ID # for the Wide drives (which was in your dmesg output, which I no longer
have), you can set that drive to negotiate a wide connection.

If the connection doesn't go wide at your next boot up, then you have
problems which I've never known how to fix, other than replacing the drive =)

Good luck,
John