Date:      Sat, 23 Jan 2010 01:12:16 +0100
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        LoH <lordofhyphens@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade from i386-8.0 to amd64-8.0 possible?

--7iMSBzlTiPOCCT2k

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 04:16:53PM -0600, LoH wrote:
> I've got a system currently running FreeBSD-i386-8.0, and was wondering=
=20
> whether or not it's possible to move the system to FreeBSD-amd64-8.0=20
> without bringing it down for more than a reboot or two=20

It is possible, but not recommended. First of all, you'll need a free
(root) partition to install the new amd64 kernel and world into. And you ne=
ed
to rebuild not only the kernel, but the userland binaries ("world") as well.

> (and avoid reinstalling all of the client software on the box itself).

Realize that if you _ever_ want to update a port (which is still a i386 bin=
ary), those
ports will be rebuilt as amd64 binaries, and linking (to libraries that are
still i386) will fail.

Likewise, is you update a library, all i386 binaries that depend on it will
stop working because the library becomes amd64. Unless you copy the old
library to a lib32 directory which you then have to tell ldconfig how to fi=
nd.

> The box itself will be undergoing a hardware change from a dual xeon=20
> (P4, not 64bit) to a dual opteron. I think I can boot i386, set up a=20
> amd64 cross-compile, then compile a new kernel with it, or do a binary=20
> change to the new arch and then reboot.

Do yourself a big favor. Back up your data, configuration files and a list =
of
your ports, en delete all ports. Then install amd64 cleanly on the new
machine. Restore your data. Re-build your ports from scratch, or install pa=
ckages.

Roland
--=20

--7iMSBzlTiPOCCT2k